September is Hunger Action Month: Get Involved!
September 07, 2011 at 3:49 PM
Food Bank of Central New York invites you to fight hunger in central and northern New York in September by getting involved in Hunger Action Month, a nationwide movement in conjunction with Feeding America. The goal is to mobilize the public to take action on behalf of the increasing number of people in need of food assistance across the country. The hunger issue is real:
- 1 in 8 Americans is food insecure – meaning that they don’t know where their next meal will come from
- 179,554 residents of Food Bank of CNY’s eleven-county service area live below the poverty level
- 37% of emergency food recipients are children under the age of 18
During the month of September, join your neighbors and millions of Americans in giving a little of yourself to feed the hungry in your community. Anyone can participate:
- Brown Bag Lunch: Instead of purchasing your lunch, brown bag it! Then donate what you typically spend on lunch to Food Bank of CNY (foodbankcny.org or call 437.1899)
- Show your support by wearing orange, the color of hunger awareness
- Corporate Virtual Food Drive: Donate $500 to sponsor Food Bank’s monthly virtual food drive. Food Bank will use the money to provide 1,275 meals and your company will receive several benefits. Visit foodbankcny.org for details.
- Volunteer your time: Food Bank needs volunteers during day shifts Monday through Friday
- Events during September’s Hunger Action Month:
- Spoonful For Hunger: Beginning Wednesday, September 14th, and every Wednesday through December 2011, customers will receive 10% off their purchases at the Oneida Company Store at 606 Sherrill Rd, in Sherrill. Oneida will donate 10% from the sales to Food Bank of CNY.
- Beginning September 17th and through the end of the month, the National Grid building and Crouse Hospital’s clock tower will light up in orange to help promote public awareness and support
- Learn about volunteer opportunities at Food Bank of CNY during the CNY Volunteer Fair on Tuesday, September 20th from 3p.m. to 7 p.m. at the Skydeck of Carousel Center